I think I’m pregnant. Where can I go for a pregnancy test?

University Health Services offers students free pregnancy tests with no appointment necessary. Students may choose to have a nurse assist with the test or they may take the test kit with them and perform the test themselves. All services provided by UHS are confidential. For free off-campus, no-appointment-necessary pregnancy testing in South Bend, visit the Women’s Care Center.

My pregnancy test came back positive. I feel overwhelmed, anxious, and scared. Can I speak to someone immediately?

There are a number of people on campus who can support and assist you. Peggy Hnatusko, Program Director for the Notre Dame Family Resource Center, is an excellent resource. She can be reached by phone (574) 631-3000  or via email.  

The University Counseling Center provides a 24-hour telephone service for any Notre Dame student in crisis about her pregnancy — (574) 631-7336 — as well as a walk-in emergency service on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. If you live on campus, someone on your hall’s staff — your rector, assistant rector, or RA — is always available and can provide a safe and confidential place to talk. The Women’s Care Center, a local non-profit pregnancy resource center, also has a confidential toll-free helpline (1-877-908-2341), available 24 hours a day.

If I’m pregnant, will I have to leave the University?

No. If you wish to stay at Notre Dame, you’ll receive the full support of the University community. Students are often concerned they will face disciplinary action as a consequence of becoming pregnant, but this is not true. The University will do all it can to accommodate your needs and concerns regarding coursework and housing. As a Catholic University, Notre Dame is committed to life and to providing resources that support the choice of life.

Will I have to move off-campus?

It is important that any Notre Dame student feels fully welcome and part of this community. Pregnant students can remain in their residence hall provided they are physically able. Though the residence hall structure is not equipped to provide housing to students consistent with the needs of caring for a child, the Division of Student Affairs is committed to working with students to explore suitable housing options.   

Where can I go to receive medical care during my pregnancy?

University Health Services can help arrange a referral to an off-campus physician, provide nutritional guidance, and answer your questions about what to expect during pregnancy.

Does the University have a pregnancy support advocate?

Peggy Hnatusko
Program Director
Notre Dame Family Resource Center
(574) 631-3000 or ndfrc@nd.edu

My friend is pregnant. Is support available for me? 

Friends of pregnant students are welcome to contact Peggy Hnatusko, Program Director for the Notre Dame Family Resource Center regarding how to support their pregnant friend. She can be reached by phone (574) 631-3000  or via email 

I am a varsity student athlete who is pregnant or parenting. Will this impact my eligibility?  

The Athletics Compliance Office serves as a resource for student athletes who have questions or concerns regarding pregnancy or parenting. To reach the Compliance Office, call (574) 631-9647.  

I am a graduate student. Are these pregnancy resources available for me or my spouse?

Yes. Visit the Graduate Student Life website for information about the accommodation policy for new student parents. In addition, all of the resources mentioned on this page are available for graduate students. 

Are there places on campus designated for students to pump breast milk?

The University of Notre Dame provides three lactation areas on campus for faculty, staff, and students to support women balancing their work and study commitments with their needs as mothers of young children. Each campus location offers a clean and secure environment for women who need to express breast milk during their time on campus. Learn more here

Who can help me sort through all of the decisions I need to make?

In addition to pregnancy support advocates, the University Counseling Center offers the services of caring, competent, and highly trained counselors to help you explore your feelings —about yourself, the father (mother) of the child, your family and friends — and help you cope with any pregnancy-related issues you may be facing: Should I marry the child’s father (mother)? Should I place my child up for adoption? What about my educational and career plans?

If the father (mother) of your child is also a Notre Dame student, the UCC is able to provide confidential counseling for him/her as well. To make an appointment at the Counseling Center, call (574) 631-7336. The Office of Campus Ministry also offers the services of trained pastoral ministers in a caring, supportive, non-judgmental environment to help you consider the spiritual dimensions and issues that accompany an unplanned pregnancy: Can I articulate my beliefs and values about life, parenthood, and marriage? How does my faith inform my decisions here? What choices and options are consistent with my faith and values?  If you are considering marriage, Campus Ministry is able to offer a thorough, reflective, and confidential discernment process. To make an appointment with a campus minister, call (574) 631-7800.

My girlfriend is pregnant but does not attend Notre Dame. I want to know how best to help and support her as we both face big decisions. Is there someone who can help me sort through my feelings?

Yes. Counselors at UCC and/or pastoral ministers in Campus Ministry can help you process your feelings, thoughts, and behaviors regarding the pregnancy-related decisions you face. To schedule an appointment at the UCC, call (574) 631-7336. To reach Campus Ministry, call (574) 631-7800.

What community resources are available to me?

  • Women’s Care Center 
    WCC is a non-profit pregnancy resource center offering many services to women facing unexpected pregnancies.
    (574) 234-0363
  • Catholic Charities
    Provides adoption and pregnancy counseling, food panties, and other services.
    (574) 234-3111
  • Catholic Diocese of Fort-Wayne and South Bend Marriage and Family Ministry- Has many programs including:
    • Project Rachel, a post-abortion reconciliation program. This ministry offers hope and healing for individuals of all religions who suffer from the pain of abortion. and its aftermath.
      (574) 386-8295
    • Miriam's Blessing supports families who receive a difficult prenatal diagnosis.
    • ava's grace supports families suffering miscarriage, stillbirth, and infant loss.
  • Hannah's House
    Offers a continuum of shelter, staff support, and programming for the physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being of pregnant and parenting single/homeless young women.
    (574) 254-5309

Are there any national resources available to me? 

The Nurturing Network is an international charitable organization that responds to the immediate and comprehensive needs of a woman facing the crisis of an unplanned pregnancy.